Sunday, May 8, 2011

One more down!!!


So, FINALLY! A project down! I started this one, in like, January! But then I got side tracked with all the Valentines Day crafts, and then the C.N.A. program, and then trying to catch up on everything I got behind in during the C.N.A. program, etc.!

So, this was a shelf that belonged to my Grandma before she died. It was like a flat blue. Almost chalk like. My grandfather gave it to my mom when he sold his house, and my mom primered it for Madison's room when she was born, but never got much further before we had to move to Nebraska. But she did get my brother to paint the top.


Can you believe he did that free hand?! Ugh! Makes me sick! ;)

Well, we have now been here for almost 5 years, and It was just so plain. and scuffed from moves from base house to base house to off base house (yes, we move every other year!) Plus the back of it was open. It kinda bothered me. So after seeing what a friend did in her daughters room (yes, you Mrs. Walsh!) I had a thought; "I have seen sites that people have wallpapered the back panel inside of their hutch or bookcase, I should do that! But wait! There isnt a back panel! Crap!" So I started to look into getting some cheap plywood. But turns out, plywood isn't as cheap as I thought. And since the hubs was gone at the time, I wasn't too confident it testing my skill saw skills (or finding out they were lacking). But my friend made these cute little flowers and birds out of foam panels, and covered them in fabric! YES!!!! I had my answer! AND foam panels, would fit inside my car!

So Miss M and I picked out some fabric for each panel, and I cut them to fit each section, and then hot glued the fabric to the foam. I spray painted the whole thing with white gloss spray paint (which it has this really pretty pearl like effect, it's that glossy). And today I finally nailed the panels on.

Ta-Da!


We even added the trim to the front of each shelf. It gave it a little something extra, and there is a lip that catches, so things don't fall off, or can too easily be pulled off by little hands!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that I could inspire you Heather!!! It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete